Bret Hart said there are three things that make a wrestler great: look, promo (mic skills), and in ring ability. David "Masked Man" Shoemaker, author of THE SQUARED CIRCLE added another quality: the intangible/charisma. These are the wrestlers with the highest average according to me. (Note: Look/promo/ring/intangible is the order of the ratings)
- •Randy "Macho Man" Savage: 10/10/9/10 the greatest character in wrestling. His look iconic. His promos are masterpieces of insanity. From the mid 80s until the mid 90s, he was one of the most athletic and entertaining in ring performers.
- •Ric Flair: 10/10/9/9- the greatest wrestling heel of all time and consummate entertainer. The living embodiment of the human Id.
- •Shawn Michaels: 8/8/10/9- HBK is one of the most inventive in-ring performers in WWE history. His match with Taker at WM xxv is probably the greatest single in ring story ever told.
- •The Undertaker: 8/7/8/10- the greatest character in wwe history. The greatest storyteller in pro wrestling.
- •CM Punk: 7/10/8/8- the last truly great character in wwe. One of the great talkers but also a good mat based grappler. Hopefully after he gets really beaten up in mma he'll realize pretending to hit Big Show isn't that bad.
- •Stone Cold Steve Austin: 5/10/8/10- court jester, conscience, and supreme badass. A genuine pop culture phenom and in-ring general.
- •John Cena: 6/8/7/8- all that is good and just in the world. Smarks may boo but he is an icon. Regardless of a limited moveset, he can deliver great matches.
- •Kurt Angle: 4/9/10/6- the greatest mat wrestler in wwe. His arrogant medalist character was rare for wwe: actually funny.
- •Mick Foley: 4/8/8/9- one of the great entertainers in the medium. His character work is second to none and his ability to engage an audience is second only to Taker.
- •The Rock- 4/10/6/9- the biggest star VKM ever created. Probably the best mic man in the business. An acceptable worker with a one note character, but his charisma made it work.