5 REASONS GOOGLE SHOULD JUST MAKE ITS OWN PHONES AND LAPTOPS ALREADY
- •Software and hardware are closely intertwinedThis is one of the major things that has led to Apple's success and to Microsoft's decision, after years of resistance, to go into the hardware business.
- •Google is making Android its single platform for the future, merging it with Chrome OSThis implies that Android could run laptops or even desktops. If Google did this, making not just phones or tablets but even laptops, it would be the first compelling new alternative to Apple's desktop platform in decades — an industry sea change.
- •Android as a platform dominates the world and dwarfs Apple's iOS market shareBut Google has only a single hardware partner in Samsung which combines global reach, significant market share, and profitability. And Samsung's sales and profitability have been faltering.
- •Device makers in emerging markets are increasingly deploying versions of Android that omit Google apps or servicesThey're not making money on these.
- •The EU has opened an investigation of whether Google's required bundling of its apps on Android phones made by others is illegalIf that probe should go the wrong way for Google, it could be a disaster. All the more reason for Google to control its own destiny.