FOODS I WILL MISS MOST IN SPACE 🚀
Thanks for the request, @rearroon! Coincidentally I was just reading the chapter about food in Mary Roach's book "Packing for Mars", and I also just got back from a delicious dinner of ceviche in Lima, Peru. So food is on my mind.
- •Food is a big part of my life.I love to cook it. I love to eat it. I love to find a new restaurant to see what they have.
- •When I'm hard at work, say, on a research cruise, food becomes even more important.This must be even more true when you're floating around in space. It must be a nice break and distraction, and possibly a nice reminder of home.
- •So here is some of my favorite food that I will likely never get in space.Unless they can send a Progress space shuttle to me with a few coolers in it for my birthday in space or something?
- •SushiEspecially salmon.
- •Other fish and seafoodMy favorite. Especially wild salmon. Sustainably caught fish is my jam.
- •CheeseI think they have processed cheese in space and while that's fun junk food, it is not cheese.
- •PhoMy comfort food. There must be a way to make this in space. We can grow the mint in their lab.
- •KachkeisA Luxembourgish melted cheese that is definitely an acquired taste but is basically baby food to me. Reminds me of home. It is spread on bread with a bit of Luxembourgish mustard. Trust me, it's amazing.
- •FruitEspecially tropical fruit like the ones I grow in my backyard (papaya, mango, passion fruit). I know that they regularly send fruit up to space but it's in short supply.
- •Freshly baked anythingI love to bake my own bread because I can't find any good baked stuff in the States.
- •ChocolateI'll probably hoard some in my personal items. Sorry, crew mates. Be nice to me and I'll gift you some.
- •BBQNo fires allowed in space. 🔥
- •Anything not processed and in pouchesBut any time in space is short lived and I'm sure the novelty of eating space food will but fun for a while. And when it stops being fun, you can always eat your space food next to the window to get the best view off Earth. 🌍