NO JOKE, THEY JUST TRIED TO BREAK IN AGAIN
Updated below!!!The day I posted my last list about getting broken into six months ago (MY HOUSE WAS BROKEN INTO), I caught a young man breaking into my back yard!
- •UPDATE: turns out this kid was actually running away from an irate neighbor down the street. He had been caught committing arson in his yard (that's a harsh way of saying that the kid was playing with fire, being a kid, you know... Or am I just too soft?)
- •I heard my side gate rattle.I was with the baby in our bedroom and hear the chain jingle outside my window. This happens a lot when cats or raccoons jump over the fence. But this time the chain shook more than once so it sounded odd.
- •I peeked outside.Totally expecting to see a fat cat or something trying to climb over the fence.
- •I saw a boy.Maybe 14 or 15 years old.
- •I called out for my husband that someone was trying to break in.And my husband ran outside.
- •The boy heard me and cleared the fence and took off on a light blue bicycle.Meanwhile my husband runs towards the house and I'm screaming at him that the boy is down the driveway.
- •My husband goes after him on foot!He's pretty fit so I was kind of impressed but also scared. What if this kid was armed?
- •I call the police.I couldn't decide between calling 9-1-1 or the cell phone of the cop on duty in our neighborhood. I called 9-1-1. It turns out this was the wrong choice.
- •9-1-1 took a long time to answer.I even looked at my phone to see if I had called the right number!
- •The dispatcher asked me if the kid was black.Straight up. It took me aback. And then, reluctantly, I had to say yes.
- •He asked me what the kid was wearing.I remembered light colored clothing maybe? All I could remember was the bicycle. A shiny, light blue bicycle. I was so struck by how out of place it was in this scenario.
- •I went out to my backyard to see if anything had been stolen.And I stepped in dog poop. Barefoot. Ughhhh.
- •Nothing had been taken. And the kid was never caught.But it was a reminder that I need those security cameras I've been wanting NOW.
- •They sent out a cop.And the cop scolded us for not calling him on his cell. Ugh.
- •I'm sad it was a kid.The first break in, I was almost comforted that it might have been a kid because kids are less threatening to me. But now I wonder about this kid. Will he succeed in life? It's only a matter of time before this behavior catches up to him. Who taught him this stuff?