THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO YOU ONCE YOU APPLY TO BECOME AN ASTRONAUT 🚀
Ok, ok. I resubmitted my application one last time, hours before the deadline. I worked on the application for about two months. I resubmitted it four times in that period. And now it's done. For real.
- •You look up a lot. 🌛At the moon, the stars, or just the sky. You realize that you don't have to be limited to just the surface of the Earth anymore. This is something I used to think of a lot as a kid. I could jump as high as I could but I could never escape Earth's gravity. Now maybe I can...
- •You're aware of space anniversaries.I submitted my application on the 30th anniversary of the Challenger disaster. 😔 I watched the old news footage and it had a new meaning for me. But I still clicked the "submit" button.
- •Your mother gets serious.She said to me "you're going to get a first interview for sure." Normally this kind of thing is said with pride and joy but she said it almost sadly and pensively. She is worried. She had seen all the anniversary footage from the Challenger disaster.
- •Your husband gets serious.He told me "I guess it's your time. You've looked after he kids while I travel so now I can do that for you."
- •You listen to Russian in the car.Russian is required learning for astronauts since most launches happen from there in a Russian Soyuz. You need to be able to read Russian.
- •You watch Interstellar again.The parent-child dynamic means a lot to me.
- •You watch The Martian.Twice.
- •You become patriotic.🇺🇸This was unexpected to me. I have become both proud of the United States for being able to carry out the space missions that it has and I would be proud to represent the country as a space explorer. As a dual citizen, I would also be proud to become the first Luxembourger in space. 🇱🇺
- •Here goes nothing.
- •I want to join these ladies.Learn more about them here: CURRENT FEMALE ASTRONAUTS 🚀
- •I guess I'll find out in a year if I made it!