STROKE WARNING SIGNS
Since February is heart disease awareness month I will continue with the theme of heart awareness.
- •Spot as stroke F.A.S.T ( All you need to remember is the word fast and relate the symptoms to each letter)
- •F. > Face drooping. Does one side of the face true or is it now? Ask the person to smile.
- •A > Arm weakness> is one arm week or now? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
- •S > Speech difficulty- is speech slurred or are they on able to speak at all. Are they hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence like, "the sky is blue." Is this sentence repeated correctly?
- •T > Time to call 911 – if the person shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 911 and get them to the hospital immediately
- •Other symptoms you should know beyond FAST – sudden numbness or weakness of the face arms or legs especially one side of the body.
- •Trouble seeing anyone or both eyes
- •Trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- •Severe headache with no known cause.