THE SURPRISINGLY EASY WAY TO SCORE A YEAR OF FREE FLYING ✈️
It might be the best travel perk you’ve never heard of.
- •Southwest Airlines offers a companion pass that lets you take a second person on all your trips free for one year
- •It’s unique in the airline business, an all-you-can-travel extra that’s surprisingly easy for many people to get
- •It takes 100 flights or 110,000 points in a year to earn a pass
- •A $390 Business Select fare earns 4,095 pointsA customer flying only on Southwest’s highest fares could get a pass with just 14 round trips, or just over one trip a month.
- •Cheap fares won’t get you there, howeverAn $89 advance-purchase fare yields only 418 points. You’d need more than two round-trips every week.
- •Many people get the pass through flying and spending — points earned on Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa cardsYou can have a personal card and a small-business card accumulating in the same frequent-flier account.
- •Sign-up bonuses on multiple cards, if timed right, can land close to 100,000 points by themselves
- •Here’s a hypothetical breakdown of how you might reach 110,000 Rapid Rewards points:
- •Five round trips on “Business Select” fares, $762 eachEarn 40,950 points for a cost of $3,810
- •Five round trips on “Anytime” fares, $698 eachEarn 31,150 points for a cost of $3,490
- •Spend $2,527 a month on a Southwest credit card for a yearEarn 30,324 points for $30,324
- •Five round trips on “Wanna Get Away” fares, $300 each (1500)Earn 7,580 points for a cost of $1,500
- •Total Points: 110,004, Total Cost: $39,124