Who Are Donald Trump's Supporters?
Here's how Trump happened http://on.wsj.com/1KKzFLF
- •They’re united by economic anxiety. Trump voters tend to have lower incomes, while establishment voters tend to be wealthier.
- •Trump voters have less education: only 38 out of 100 have college degrees.
- •More than 80% of Trump backers think immigration hurts the U.S. more than it helps.
- •And 55% of Trump supporters believe free trade—a GOP staple—is bad for the U.S.
- •They oppose gay marriage.
- •And they overwhelmingly support gun rights.
- •Trump voters are the least religious group in the Republican Party.
- •Compared with social conservatives, Trump voters are less likely to align themselves with the anti-abortion movement.
- •Trump voters don’t have a single idealogical identity.They rate themselves as less conservative than do social conservatives —and more conservative than establishment voters.
- •The Trump coalition is something new: A secular, populist movement that doesn’t identify with the establishment centrist bloc or the conservative wing of the Republican Party.