WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WON THE POWERBALL?
An office-wide discussion amongst the MEL staff
- •Tim GriersonFirst thing I'd do is take a two-week vacation with my wife -- just get away from everything and be with her out in the middle of nowhere. During that vacation, she and I would plan out the rest of our lives with this new money: what we really wanted, what we'd want to do it with, etc. Finally, I'd do a little research into all the reasons why other lottery winners have ended up having such terrible lives, trying to figure out the mistakes they made.
- •Tim GriersonThis may not sound very exciting or sexy of an answer, but my hunch is that a little sober preparation goes a long way when your life gets turned completely upside down.
- •Josh SchollmeyerFeel free to call me paranoid and practical, but I would immediately start interviewing money managers. All the cautionary tales of lotto winners losing all of their money as quickly as they get it would terrify me, and is something I would obsesses about probably just about every minute of every day. And so, I would find the exact right people to help me not be a dumb ass.
- •Tierney FinsterI would say very little and leave to a new country, somewhere remote and naturally beautiful but with good shopping, along with a couple of friends and my parents. I would live like Queen Latifah in The Last Holiday there, but really it would be my first of many holidays to come. Once home, I would get a small house in Malibu and a small house in Laurel Canyon and finally begin TIERNEY PRODUCTIONS for real.
- •Jenny SeyfriedI would pay off everything that needed paying (parking tickets, credit cards, car payments). Then I'd give some money to my parents and family I liked. Then I'd go shopping. Then I'd call a real estate investor and talk about where i should buy property. Then I would buy more shoes. Then I'd book a trip to travel around Europe by myself, flying out friends in small doses because i don't want to be with anyone for more than a few days. Also I'd go on a yoga retreat somewhere sexy and lavish.
- •Jenny SeyfriedI’d focus in on volunteering/helping with political campaigns and becoming besties with Elon Musk to change the world together. Money = Power.
- •Lindsey WeberI would just buy property. Land.
- •John McDermottBuy enough rental property that I would have a lasting but passive income. Travel until I got tired of being a vagabond and then start my own business(es) because I know I'd miss working.
- •Craig MacNeilI would also pay off everything, then acquire properties in every locale that I fancy. Gifts and trips with friends, lavish spending on family (trips, homes, baubles), and I would build a state of the art production facility/compound. Hire Elton John to play my birthday party, fund at least 5 documentaries that I want to see but otherwise wouldn't get made, and build a house similar to Lenny Kravitz's pad where one half is normal, and the other half is fantasyland.
- •Jenny SeyfriedAnd a lot of season passes to theme parks.
- •Craig MacNeilHe has a fur-lined tunnel connecting the two. Establish a charitable trust for the disadvantaged, and probably also buy the contents of Amoeba Records. Oh, and hire a full-time staff to oversee media transfer. And we mustn't forget the personal chef, trustworthy money manager, and the private detectives hired to monitor them 😊
- •Josh SchollmeyerWouldn't you want to swim in it like Scrooge McDuck? Or at least swim in SOME of it?
- •John McDermottNah. But I would have an awesome treehouse built somewhere in Oregon. And so many bespoke suits.
- •Craig MacNeilEnormous wardrobes of custom made clothing for my girlfriend and I, with Jenny-level shoe acquisition.
- •Jenny SeyfriedClothing for sure is a no brainier for us all. Tree house? Smh.