In Defense of "Blurred Lines"
There are a lot of really offensive songs with damaging messages but this isn't one of them, imho:
- •"If you can't hear what im tryina say, if you can't read from the same page/maybe I'm going deaf, maybe I'm going blind, maybe I'm out of my mind."He's genuinely trying to asses this situation and completely owning up to maybe reading her wrong. He's going to make sure he knows what's going on before he makes any kind of move.
- •"Ok, now he was close Tried to domesticate you But you're an animal Baby, it's in your nature Just let me liberate you You don't need no papers That man is not your maker"Mildly offensive. Girls aren't animals we are humans. However this is the type of metaphor poets have been using for centuries. The worst part about this is the implication that she can't liberate herself.
- •"I know you want it But you're a good girl The way you grab me Must wanna get nasty Go ahead, get at me"Okay, he can't KNOW that she wants it, he just thinks it really seems like that. She MUST wanna get nasty, right? I mean she's ACTING like it. You know, just to be safe, in case she does not want it, im going to put the power in her hands: "go ahead get at me." At this point she can choose to get at him or not.
- •"You da hottest bitch in this place"Offensive to call a girl a bitch. Even worse when the radio edits it to "you da hottest hoe in this place". Don't understand the logic there.
- •"I feel so lucky, you wanna hug me. What rhymes with hug me?"Harmless nonsense. We are talking about a consensual hug and then lord knows what else, as there is nothing sexy that rhymes with hug, let's be real. Even if "fuck" rhymed with "hug" (which it does not), we are now talking about a girl making her own choices. Not being date raped.
- •Then that idiot who sings Happy starts talking
- •"Hit me up when you're passing through, I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two."JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THIS IS A SONG LYRIC? why the violence towards women??? Why the anger and aggression masked in some kind of twisted compliment? Treat her ass gently until she says otherwise, Pharrell. THIS lyric is repulsive and offensive it should be taken out of the song.
- •With that being said, he goes on to say: "so im just watching and waiting for you to salute the true big pimpin"Whatever this means, it puts Pharrell in the passive position, waiting for her to make a move. So, not date rape.
- •So, what Im saying here is that the song has offensive moments but it is not about date rape/does not condone or encourage date rape in any way.
- •He hates these blurred lines. Duh, I would too, no one likes being confused. A date rapist on the other hand would say "I don't care about these blurred lines."
- •Robin Thicke is at most guilty of saying "I wish I could date rape this girl but I'm not going to."So he's a gross guy. Yes. Definitely. But he is NOT saying it's ok to rape anyone.
- •The reason I am expressing all of this is to draw attention to the fact that there are horrifically offensive lyrics out there that SHOULD be scrutinized AND there are serious date rape issues that need to be addressed, but using this song as the poster song for date rape awareness is unproductive and distracts from the real problems.
- •Also, the music video is really what has issues, not the song itself.I know I know it's such a cool video but it is super problematic.
- •Ok, can this count as my work for the day, I'm done.
- •*Drops mic*