The Pros and Cons of Living in Hawaii
I was born on Maui, Hawaii. Moved to Australia when I was nine and have recently moved back to Maui to live with my sister and start some college courses. Here are some of the pros and cons to living on a small island
- •Con: CostThe cost of living here is crazy. If my family didn't own a house I wouldn't be able to afford rent.
- •Pro: SceneryThe views are amazing on the island. Scenery wise, Hawaii is paradise
- •Con: ActivitiesUnless you are the kind of person to adore hiking (I'm not) or someone who loves to surf and windsurf and generally be in the water during all your free time. There is not much to do. Initially there are lots of things to do. However after the first six months, you have pretty much done all you can on Maui.
- •Pro: TouristsYou meet so many new people for all around the world. There is no shortage of interesting stories told by travelers from all around the world.
- •Con: TouristsThere are people everywhere. People who demand things. People who crowd the waves. People who know nothing about the culture or history of Hawaii.
- •Pro: Shaved Ice and Li Hing MoiTwo of the most delicious treats. Traditional Hawaiian shaved ice is amazing. I could eat it everyday and never get sick of it. And Li Hing Moi is good on just about anything.
- •Con: TrafficBecause of all the tourists and the shitty roads. Traffic can get pretty crazy, especially around Christmas. If you need to get anywhere in a hurry during the peak tourist season you are totally screwed.
- •Pro: The BeachesDespite the fact that I don't surf or do other water activities regularly like most people on Hawaii. No one can deny that the beaches here are beautiful. The natural black sand beaches and the clear warm water and lovely.
- •Con: The RoadsPot holes. Lots and lots of pot holes.
- •Pro: The Rainstorms and RainbowsWhile a lite of people would consider rainstorms a con. I think they are lovely. Since I live in the west side of the island of Maui it is often rainy. However it is a warm brief rain that is often followed by gorgeous rainbows. I have seen so many rainbows and double rainbows that it is hard to count all of them. Even the occasional triple rainbow isn't to much of a novelty.
- •Con: ShippingShipping anything is a damn nightmare. Whether your ordering something or sending something, you'd better be ready to pay a lot.