MY PRIVILEGE IS...
I'm a 27yr old, white male. I have white privilege and I have white guilt. I wish I didn't. I didn't earn the privilege, I was born with it. I learned/realized the guilt around the time I realized the privilege. I want to learn. I want to help. I don't want to speak for those who can't. I want to help make sure that one day they can.
- •My privilege lets me carry a knife in my pocket and not be considered dangerous.
- •My privilege enables me to walk around any store for any amount of time and not be considered suspicious.
- •My privilege means when I'm pulled over with a group of friends who are POC, I get asked about drugs while they get asked about drugs AND weapons.
- •My privilege means someone who looks like me can shoot up a theater full of people and be arrested while a black, 12yr old male is shot on sight with no warning for holding a toy gun.
- •My privilege means when I read comic books I can see myself represented in most of my favorite fictional heroes.
- •My privilege means I can dress however I like to without having to worry about being considered suspicious or dangerous.
- •My privilege means my career options aren't stereotypically limited to being an athlete or an entertainer.
- •My privilege means I'm not described/looked at as a minority or lower class citizen.
- •My privilege means the history I learned in school was catered to reinforcing the idea that I'm privileged.
- •My privilege comes from the fact that my ancestors took land and took lives from people for the sole fact that they wanted to and could.
- •My privilege gives me daily and lifelong advantages over others.
- •My privilege, and the privilege of people like me, is an issue. It's an issue that we have it. It's an issue that others don't have it.
- •I'm not sure how to end this list.
- •Peace, love, and happiness to all. Thanks for reading.