BLACK INDIE ROCK ARTISTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT
Alrighty, so as much as I fucking love rap and hip hop and R&B, I dislike that, as a kid, the world made it seem like rock and alternative music was "white people music." Because I love that shit. (And also we invented rock... facts). Here are great black people doing cool fucking stuff in the indie rock genre
- •Alabama ShakesRather well-known now (they performed at the Grammys!) but Alabama Shakes is some amaaaazing soulful bluesy rock music. BRITTANY HOWARD CAN HAVE MY FIRST BORN for literally just the fact that she blessed the world with her voice. Thats how insane her vocals are. Tracks: All of the "Sound and Color" album and also I would ride a dick all night to "Rise to the Sun"
- •Toro y MoiChaz Bundick is a muthafuckin genius. His earlier stuff is techno-y combined with dope bumpin-ass beats but his latest album "What for?" is v classic indie rock with lots of synth. Good tracks: So Many Details, Say That, Buffalo, Yeah Right. I saw Toro's Lolla after show last year and my whole life changed (ridiculously good music + most black ppl Ive ever seen congregated at an indie show)
- •PhoxPhox is incredible, chill af indie pop. Lots of flutes and acoustic stuff. The voice of Monica Martin would make an angel start sobbing. Good tracks: Slow Motion, Kingfisher, Shrinking Violets. Side note: I met Monica in a bathroom recently and she was so fucking nice and remembered my name later and was as beautiful as she looks on the internet
- •WarikCarefree black boy Malik (and Keenan) are cool af in this style of music Malik dubs "jangle art rock pop" and it's catchy as hell and they are some of the most creative individuals on the planet. THIS TRACK THO —> http://warik.bandcamp.com/album/deep-blue-sea
- •Bloc PartyKele Okereke ayyyyy
- •The Cocker SpanielsMainly for Sean Padilla's relatable track "The Only Black Guy at the Indie Rock Show"
- •There's a lot more A LOT MORE but they get little attention bc of the whiteness of indie so if you have more share please :)
- •Or if you're a black indie rock artist add yaself 😜
- •Fitz & The TantrumsNoelle Scaggs 💜Suggested by @LizDawson
- •TV On The RadioSuggested by @MatthewAlmont
- •Blood OrangeBLOOD FUCKING ORAAAANGE as I was reminded to add by @cherylee . SO DOPE, not a band (?) but v smooth funky vibes, worth the listen
- •Benjamin BookerSuggested by @bedes