METHODS MY MOM USED TO TRY TO GET ME TO SLEEP BY MYSELF AS A CHILD
The first time I slept in my room by myself I was 13 and no longer afraid of The Exorcist trailer on late night TNT
- •Taking me to this doctor that calculated the electricity in my body by making me stand on a heated metal plate. The prescribed treatment was to stop eating pasta and take these Chinese supplements. He also told me that the redness in my cheeks were caused by a dairy allergy...
- •Freudian therapy. My therapists name was Celia, I hated her and she made everything I said or did into something sexual, and everything was my moms fault, and everything was because I was in love with me father...
- •Teaching me how to pray
- •Making me get a first communion and confession.
- •Paying a lady to sleep in the trundle in my room until I fell asleep. Her name was Rosa, she was very nice but wore strong perfume
- •Weekly shiatsu massages
- •Melatonin, valerian root, camomile tea
- •By having a rational adult conversation with me explaining that I would be okay and there was nothing to be afraid of
- •Exposure therapy by sending me to camp. It was 4th grade. I threw up and cried everyday and my camp counselor was mean, but my friend Laura helped me survive
- •A portable DVD player and The OC season 1 box set. That proved to be the treatment for my fear and loneliness. And life was never the same after Sandy Cohen.