HALLOWEEN COSTUMES I HAVE WORN IN THE PAST
- •Dorothy from The Wizard of OzWe used to have a dog that looked like Toto, so it was pretty authentic.
- •PocahontasAge 3. My hair wasn't long enough for braids, so my mom braided me a yarn wig. But the yarn was yellow, which now seems like a weird and questionable choice.
- •A TY Beanie BabyAge 5. I wore a bunny costume then my mom made a giant TY tag that we hung from one of the ears. This was still at the time when we though Beanie Babies would be worth millions, so this costume was a huge hit.
- •Hermione GrangerThe year The Chamber of Secrets came out, I cut my hair like Emma Watson's, so again, pretty authentic.
- •Helen Keller.I was in 5th grade, and my mom dressed up as Annie Sullivan. In retrospect, this was actually a pretty offensive costume, because I walked around all day carrying a rag doll, with my eyes shut and my mouth open, feeling around with my hands. Thanks, mom. Someday I'll find the picture that documents it. Even in the picture my mouth is gaping open and my eyes are closed. Always one for authenticity.
- •Miss AmericaI was in 4th grade and I wore a floor length velvet dress with a long blonde wig, a sash and a crown. "I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable."