Why I Like Playing In the Air Horn Orchestra
Air Horn Orchestra is something my friends Grayson and Tina started. We play air horns really loudly outside the NC executive mansion once a week. We'll do it until Pat McCrory and the NC legislature repeal HB2, the "bathroom bill" that basically makes any discrimination allowable without legal protections.
- 1.Making really loud noises is fun
- 2.People have gotten really creative with how the make noise. A friend 3D printed a whistle. My husband made a custom horn.
- 3.I have a place to play my glockenspiel.
- 4.I get to express my anger legally because we have a permit and everything.
- 5.It only take about 45 minutes of my time once a week (that's travel time, setup, cleanup, etc)
- 6.We often go for beers with other cool North Carolinians afterwards.
- 7.I feel it keeps the pressure on. There is no day when the people who passed this bill should be able to rest.
- 8.Transgender North Carolinians deserve better.
- 9.We are on the right side of history.
- 10.This is all about love, not hate, and love is my favorite.
- 11.Free earplugs for people who don't have their own pair.
- 12.Cute kids.
- 13.Getting to know a lot of neat people who care.
- 14.Sometimes it turns into real music. It's a fascinating sonic experience.
- 15.Pat McCrory is an idiot, and I get to channel that part of me that needs to take action against his terrible governing choices.
- 16.I mean, just look!
- 17.There is now a percussion section.