Already on li.st? Open in app.
I live in Berlin, Germany but I'm a Californian
- •Watched the news to hear it for myself
- •Listened to his speech and hoped I was dreaming
- •CriedI am still crying every now and then. The pain of knowing and expecting racism and resentment because of what you look like is hard to stomach.
As a scientist wanting to be cool
- •Bake something difficult (croissants)
The ambivalence is real
- •Woohoo, I'm adulting
- •Damn it, I'm really adulting
- •Should I have a child to blame this on?
I feel there's a trend, I may need to read non-science books..
- •Surely you're joking Mr Feynman by Richard FeynmanI was born way to late!
- •Miguel Street by V.S. NaipaulLaura!!!!
- •Half the sky by Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl WuDunnI now know what to do with my life
- •Is painful
- •Wondered why you did that yesterday
- •Can't even move to get your tea
Apart from the chocolate, all are permanent fixtures
- •Finalising a paper with no care for passing time
- •Laughing with friends with no care for passing time
- •Eating trauben nuss (German chocolate) with no care for the wobbly bits it produces
Or to continue (social drinking!!)
- •You get at least one weekend day backBut will I use it though? Back to bed!
- •Those early morning runs are attainableBut will I do it though?
- •There's a chance you'll be better at your workPersonally I write drunk and edit sober, it's the only way I'm creative
Key things to do before you start the perilous journey
- •Talk to other PhD students in that labIt's important to know what students are going through and see if you can deal with the similar situation. You won't be special. If the prof is treating the other students like crap, chances are he/she will do it to you too.
- •Ask former PhD students about life in the labTo know if the supervisor will help you after your studies. It's like a marriage, in good situations your supervisor will be your mentor for life. In the worse case it will result in a messing divorce like breakup
- •Check out the status of the lab (check that they are productive)An over productive lab can mean a lot of stress or a well oiled machine. A non productive lab should not be touched with a yard stick