5 BOOKS ON MY SHELF THAT SHOULD ALSO BE ON YOURS
thanks @LizDawson sorry this took me 8 million years
- •VALPARAISO ROUND THE HORNmadeline ffitch. short stories. stunning. life changing. tattoo worthy. "all they could see was sky. they could see stars collapsing."
- •BLUETSmaggie nelson. a long lyric about love and depression and obsession and fucking. "the blue was beating."
- •THE BALLOONISTSeula biss. lyric leaning towards poetry. an exploration of her parents. an attempt to understand. "cartoon fairy tales end in the shower of flower petals falling over a wedding as the credits begin. they should end with the woman disappearing into the sea."
- •VERONICA BENCHleopoldine core. poetry. beautiful and fucked up. queer. everything. "I see the creature/ crawling toward me/ I see the love/ in my own mouth"
- •HOW TO SLOWLY KILL YOURSELF AND OTHERS IN AMERICAkiese laymon. essays about being black in america. about culture and misogyny and hip hop. it hurts how beautiful it is. "We are real black characters with real character, not the stars of American racist spectacle. Blackness is not probable cause."