Musicals With Killer Act 1 Finales
Act 1 finales are magical. Go out with a bang and a promise of more to come. This is not a comprehensive list. If you found this list somehow, add to it!!
- •The Book of MormonMan Up is a fucking revelation. I could go into detailed musical analysis about why I love everything about it. Kevin and Arnold end on the same note and Kevin gets overshadowed by Arnold because ARNOLD IS LITERALLY STEALING THE SHOW
- •WickedSorry not sorry. As soon as Elphie starts her lift in Defying Gravity I'm in tears. Every time. Wonderful.
- •In the HeightsThe subtle sforzando piano and swell on "Sky" and the fireworks and Nina and Benny???🎆🎉💯💯💯
- •Dirty Rotten ScoundrelsThis is my favorite musical. It doesn't even have a big musical act 1 finale, just a juicy and ridiculous plot twist
- •HamiltonI love Non-Stop. It builds and builds and builds AND beautifully incorporates so many themes we've heard already. I mean, the last 50 seconds? Masterful. But everything about Hamilton though.
- •Sweeney ToddA Little Priest is deliciously irreverent and a little bit like Freebird, in that it's iconic and seems to last forever. Certainly leaves you wanting to know what will happen in Act 2