Reasons Being a Young (Female) Professional Sucks for Me
Allow me to complain about a few interactions I've had with coworkers.
- •"Come here. Do you even know what this is?"For the record, she wanted me to look at the save icon on a Microsoft office program. I was very confused. I told her "that's how you save the document you're working on." She was like "NO, do you know what it's a picture of." I said "...you mean a floppy disk?" She was surprised I'd been on earth long enough to recognize a floppy, I guess. I used them in middle school, lady.
- •"Are you even old enough to drink?"This was at the annual company picnic. The second one I attended, actually. Because I had been working here over a year. I graduated from a four year university and I've been working here over a year. Unless you think I'm a child genius who graduated high school and college early, I don't know why you would think I'm not at least 21. Her response to me being 23 was that I'm younger than both her kids...like, okay. Cool. I guess they can drink too.
- •"You should find a nice engineer to marry. What about Ben? He's nice!"
- •"Would you be open to going on a date with Joe? I showed him your picture on the company registry. I could set up a lunch date."Joe is too old for me and also one of those unblinking, staring types. Also I made this kickass banana bread once and brought it into the office and Joe wouldn't try it because "Oh no, too fattening." What the fuck, Joe.
- •I was actually given this book by a coworker who apparently thought she was being helpful
- •That one time I was silly enough to engage in a non-work related discussionAnd was shut down for just "going immediately to the most sensitive part of the argument" which apparently invalidated what I said? (He said things need to go back to how they were in the 50s and I pointed out how on a social scale that would suck for everyone except him, a white man) Gotta be careful where I put my emotional female hands, I guess.
- •"Do you want some porn...i mean corn bread?"This actually happened. Don't worry. This creep does not talk to me anymore.
- •Bonus: for some reason middle aged men feel comfortable talking to me about their wives being old ball-and-chains and what kind of women flirt with them on a cruise or at the coffee shop or whateverIF A PRETTY WOMAN IS NICE TO YOU IT DOES NOT MEAN SHE'S FLIRTING, YOU WEIRD FUck I hope your wife divorces you