A Really Weird Racist Thing Teachers Used to Make White Kids Do
I least I hope they don't do it anymore.
- •When I was in elementary school we used to have to sing a song in music class that goes like this:
- •🎶Gonna jump down, spin around/Pick a bale of cotton/Gonna jump down, spin around/Pick a bale a day/Oh lordy, pick a bale of cotton/Pick a bale a day🎶
- •We had little moves to go with it and everything.
- •It wasn't until into my 20s that the song got caught in my head one day and I thought "waaaaiiit a minute..."
- •Super racist, right?
- •And I really don't remember any history lesson behind it. To us, it was just some song we were singing.
- •It makes me so uncomfortable thinking about it.
- •Everyone in my class was white. The teachers were all white.
- •I think having a black student or two would have been worse because they would've been like:
- •Sooo...who thought this was OK?