CHATTING UP THE NEIGHBOURS
Living in a flat, you don't get to see the familiar faces you would expect when you're at work.
- 1."I haven't see you around. You live here?"Yes, I do. For the last 5 years.
- 2."Your flowers are blooming!"My neighbour has these orchid plants that flowers infrequently. We both marvel when it happens.
- 3."Hi Auntie/Uncle."The shy ones will blush. It's adorable.
- 4."Going to prayers?"A (very shy) Malay uncle would always jump when I ask this in Ramadan. OK, maybe I was being intentionally cheeky too ☺️
- 5."Which floor?"Everyone is surprised when I ask this in the lift. 99% of the time they'll reach out and press the floor number themselves, and I'll just 🙂
- 6."Thank you."
- 7."You're welcome."Prior 'thank you' is optional.
- 8."What are you cooking today?"Some local dishes have certain necessary things, like coriander, curry leaves, ginger, dried shrimp, etc. I ask to check my guesses.
- 9."Bye, have a good evening!"This always prompts a response, especially when ended with an auntie/uncle.
- 10."So, you're the other one right?"I know a family that lived on the 11th floor and would go down to the 6th to his parents. So, one day he did just that with his kid while I went down to get the mail. Less than a minute later, I was going up with him again when I said, "That was fast." He smiled and waved as he stopped at the 6th floor, "Ah, think you caught my brother." I realised there are twins living in the same flat.
- 11."Haven't seen you traveling in a while."I used to travel a lot for work, and they'll hear the roll of my suitcase early mornings or late nights. I'm glad they noticed when I'm home or gone.