Summer Reading - Week 5
I'm playing fast and loose with "week." It's when I update it.
- •Ms. Marvel: Generation Why, G. Willow WilsonI really liked the first edition of Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel (No Normal) but I ADORED this one. It was super funny (the part where she is interacting with her superhero mentor had me literally cracking up at several points) and really spoke to its target audience in a way I loved. I hope I can get some of my students reading these! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️✨
- •The Warrior's Return, Alyson Peterson (Ian Quicksilver, Book 1)This was a book I randomly picked out at he library, and it was fun! Definitely kept me turning pages. A good, middle-grades friendly sci-fi book. I'll definitely read the next one when it comes out. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
- •Hamilton: The RevolutionI devoured this. Read the whole thing in one night. As an ardent fan of the show, I found it so interesting. I've always loved when artists annotate their work, so this was wonderful for that alone. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- •Silver in the Blood, Jessica Day GeorgeI enjoyed this a lot! It deals with Romanian lore about vampires and shape-shifters. Of the two protagonists, one was great and one was okay.... I'm hopeful this will be a series and the author will continue to make interesting choices with the one I'm ambivalent on. Definitely worth a read. ⭐️⭐️⭐️✨
- •Out of the Easy, Ruta SepetysBook club book. Billed as YA, though I wouldn't recommend it to middle schooler as prostitutes/madams/brothels figure very prominently. That being said, I enjoyed it. I liked the main character and was really rooting for her. Good sense of place, too - New Orleans in 1950. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
- •Death and Relaxation, Devon Monk (Ordinary Magic, Book 1)A new series for an author who writes an urban fantasy series I sort of gave up on. But I really liked this one! More creative - she's a police chief in a town where gods go to vacation (thus giving up most of their powers). There's a lot of potential for hijinks in the premise, and I love the quirky small town setting. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next installment to see what she does with it. (It does need to be said, however: dumb title.) ⭐️⭐️⭐️✨
- •Total read: 27/50.I may not make my goal, and I'm not happy about this. But summer is almost over. 😭
- •Non-fiction: 3/5Still slowly working on Devil in the White City....
- •I'm ditching the Young Hoosier part of my goal. I just want to get to 50 books!