BOOKS I HAD TO READ IN HIGH SCHOOL, RANKED
Note: I am currently ending my junior year of high school, so this will only cover three years worth of books.
- 10.In Harm's WayPhysically the most boring book ever written. I understand the importance of the situation, but the way it was written in this book is horrible. I feel like I'm reading the most detailed and boring Wikipedia article ever. -- Senior Year Modern World Civ.
- 9.Brave New WorldProbably one of the most messed up books I have ever read IN MY LIFE. I read this in the Spring of my Sophomore year (2015) and hated it. I was also the only kid in my class that read it, and it just so happened that I was in the front row, so basically the 70 minute class period was just me having a discussion with my teacher.
- 8.Romeo & JulietNot gonna lie: didn't read this play. Thought it seemed boring and awful, and my freshmen English teacher got WAY too in to it, only making it much, much worse.
- 7.Lord of the FliesMan, my high school's Sophomore Lit selections suck! LOTF was absolutely awful, but slightly better than Brave New World and Rome & Juliet. I always felt bad about Piggy...
- 6.NightI definitely did not care for this book too much my freshmen year, because I found it rather depressing. Obviously, the message of the story is very important to study and learn about, however, I know a great deal about WWII and don't feel like reading more into it. I really would recommend it to people that are interested in learning more about life in the concentration camps.
- 5.The Thief and the DogsI found this book to be somewhat boring, but also kind of interesting and inspiring my Junior year. I don't necessarily care for some of the parts of it (like the ending), however, I do think that especially for the time, it sets a good message for how to live life. (I think - don't quote me on that.)
- 4.Cry, The Beloved CountryThis book actually was not too bad of a read at 7:45 in the morning during my Junior year. I think while some of the themes in it are quite sad, the overall message of the book is quite a positive one.
- 3.Cyrano de BergeracI think it's kind of weird. (We just started reading it today.) -- update (about a year later) it was actually really good, so it got moved from 5 to 3!
- 2.Of Mice and MenThis was actually a really good book, and at the time when I read this book (freshmen year) the fact that it was so short seemed really appealing to me. I think it was actually a really great read! I always felt bad for then puppy...
- 1.The Great GatsbyI had already read this book during my SSR time in my Winter Trimester Freshmen English class (2013), when I was assigned to read it in the Winter Tri of my Junior year (2015). I absolutely love this novel so, so much!! I think the new-ish 2013 movie does an excellent job of portraying the novel, but the book is EPIC and AMAZING. I love reading it and discussing it in class!