PRESSING QUESTION ABOUT "NO SCRUBS"
I was 5 years old when this song came out. So I really didn't have a good grasp of what the *cOoL KiDs* were saying at the time. If you have any information about this, plz share because I lie awake at night stressing about this.
- •Okay here's my question:
- •Did this use of "scrub" exist before this song?
- •I have always just assumed that "scrub" was already in use in the late 90s when this song came out. But lately I've been digging deeper. Asking the tough questions.
- •The majority of the lyrics are laying out the definition of the termA scrub is a guy that thinks he's fly/ and is also known as a buster/ always talkin bout what he wants/ and just sits on his broke ass
- •Which makes me think that maybe this was a new addition to the cultural lexicon? Like why else would they spend the whole song just explaining what it is?
- •Can someone who was not a small child in 1999 please enlighten me?