Quotes From Michelle Obama's DNC Speech That I Am Here For
Politics aside, her speech last night was a masterclass in oratory and the power of words
- •"How we explain that when someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don’t stoop to their level. No, our motto is, when they go low, we go high."Simple, but effective
- •"...this election and every election is about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives."Excellent framing
- •"I want someone with the proven strength to persevere, someone who knows this job and takes it seriously, someone who understands that the issues a president faces are not black and white and cannot be boiled down to 140 characters."Powerful subtweet
- •"And we give back even when we’re struggling ourselves because we know that there is always someone worse off. And there but for the grace of God go I."
- •"And when crisis hits, we don’t turn against each other. No, we listen to each other, we lean on each other, because we are always stronger together."Strong appeals (last 2 quotes) to our better selves and the power of community.
- •"Heroes of every color and creed who wear the uniform and risk their lives to keep passing down those blessings of liberty, police officers and the protesters in Dallas who all desperately want to keep our children safe."So much going on here. Effectively bridges an alleged divide in one sentence.
- •"That is the story of this country, the story that has brought me to this stage tonight, the story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation, but who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves."Incredibly evocative rhetoric. The alliteration in the middle is so effective and the conclusion is devastating.