When the Nightmare Comes to Your Backyard
I have lived almost my entire life in central Florida. I was born in Titusville and Orlando is currently my home.
- •I can't sleep. Even though I have a newborn and two more children under age 5. Sleep usually comes easy when I can get it.
- •My heart is broken for my city.
- •My heart is broken for all the victims and their families and friends.
- •My heart is broken for my children.
- •I could hardly look into their eyes today because I was ashamed that I couldn't promise them a better world.
- •Even though I can't sleep, I am tired.
- •I am tired of thoughts and prayers.
- •I am tired of the same debates about guns that result in complete inaction.
- •I am tired of being told that there is no solution other than fear, hate, and more guns.
- •I am also angry.
- •I am angry at the murderers.
- •I am angry at those who embolden murderers through hateful speech and bigoted action.
- •I am angry at myself for not speaking out more.
- •Tomorrow, I hope we can do better. Those of us who are lucky enough to see another day can't give up. We have to keep trying. No matter how heartbroken, tired, and angry we are. Or, you know, whatever.