Video Games That Shaped My Childhood
I was a Nintendo kid.
- •PokemonMy 4th birthday present from my older cousin was a purple transparent Gameboy Color and a copy of Pokemon Red. I'm still playing Pokemon to this day and can't wait for the newest games to come out next year.
- •Super Mario WorldFor the SNES. My younger cousins and I would watch the older cousins play for hours, and when we got old enough, we took over the controllers. I'm still pretty decent at platformers.
- •Pokemon CrystalMy favorite game to this day. The first time you could play as a girl in a Pokemon game. I'd never felt so elated to see that cute little sprite that was me! I was finally a girl in a video game! My little heart could barely take it. I still revisit it from time to time.
- •Legend of Zelda: Oracle of TimeMy first foray into the world of Link. Looking back, I'm impressed that I got so far at such a young age. I had a crush on pretty much everyone in that game.
- •Tomb RaiderNever got to play myself, but watching my older cousins play as a female protagonist who kicked butt? Weirdly satisfying. It felt like I was the one who should've been playing.
- •Top GearAlso on the SNES. I got so good that my older cousins eventually refused to play against me. I was 6.