Ways to Respond to the Question "How Are You?"
This is probably the most terrifying question you will ever face. Here's how you handle it.
- •Shrug and go, "Everything's been great", but then mention a few bad things that have recently happened so you don't seem too braggy
- •Say "Pretty good, how about you?" Then when the other person starts to tell you about themselves nod and say "uh-huh" a lot until it feels appropriate to talk about something else
- •Provide a very specific account of exactly how you happen to be feeling at that given moment (try to touch on your states of being physically, emotionally and spiritually); delve deeply into as much personal minutiae as possible
- •Launch into a long, detailed description of every minor career triumph, disappointment and general meeting that you've experienced since last seeing this person (this is the preferred option if you work in show business)
- •Just start quietly weeping
- •Yell "Good!", then quickly walk away and move to a new town