ON VISITING HOME
It's been almost a year since I last visited.
- •I'm not sure how to do this successfully yet
- •The house has been remodeled since I was here last
- •It doesn't feel like my house
- •My old room is now storage. There's not even a bed in it
- •There have been 4 political arguments in the first 12 hours
- •Dad called me a godless heathen that he hoped would one day be a believer again while giving a toast/prayer at the dinner table
- •It's really nice to see my dog
- •It's snowing!
- •The fridge is really full
- •The phrases "can I borrow the car" and "what time will you be home" are back in action
- •My parents are exhausting
- •I'm home for 4 days, can we just not do this?
- •Teaching my mom how to use her new laptop is...frustrating and perplexing
- •I mention one date and it's a whole conversation about how my love life is going, and why nothing's lasting
- •My friend of 18 years came over for dinner and at the end said "wow I thought you were exaggerating about them"
- •I've never slept in this room before, and apparently staying in it for the week will not change that fact
- •I'm trying really hard to be happy that I'm here. And I am, but it's hard.