My Favourite Speech Of All Time
As I've made pretty clear in my list career, I'm a massive fan of Daria, and I just finished watching it for the third time. In the 90 minute final episode, Daria makes a speech when accepting her academic achievement award. Although it's been a while since I graduated high school, this speech stills moves me.
- •“Um… thank you. I’m not much for public speaking, or much for speaking, or, come to think of it, much for the public. And I’m not very good at lying."
- •“So let me just say that, in my experience, high school sucks. If I had to do it all over again, I’d have started advanced placement classes in preschool so I could go from eighth grade straight to college."
- •However, given the unalterable fact that high school sucks, I'd like to add that if you're lucky enough to have a good friend and a family that cares, it doesn't have to suck quite as much."
- •"Otherwise, my advice is: stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience prove you wrong; remember, when the emperor looks naked, the emperor is naked; the truth and a lie are not "sort of the same thing";"
- •"And there is no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza. Thank you."
- •This speech makes me smile every time I hear it.
- •I want to send a shout out to my main gal, my partner in crime, the Jane to my Daria, @Evie. Thanks for your support always, thanks for being the person to make high school (and life) better.
- •We both graduated uni this year and went through one of the worst things you can ever imagine happening... but we survived.I'm proud of us!
- •Thanks Daria, you put everything into perspective.