My Life In Ten Songs
Can I jump on the bandwagon?
- •Zebra - John Butler TrioBack when my parents agreed on music, this is what they played in the car. And what we sang along to. Then I refound it myself as a (sort of) adult and fell in love again. John Butler's lyrics are hit and miss but this song is a HIT.
- •Bigger Than My Body - John MayerI know. But this is when John Mayer was okay and seemed like a nice guy. Little did we know... This song gave teenage Alex some purpose and meaning and happiness. I still think of these lyrics pretty often when I need a pick me up.
- •The Chariot - The Cat EmpireThe Cat Empire were the first band I found myself and decided I loved on my own. Well, a mate showed me but I decided to love them alone. Right!? Anyway, this song is about positivity, friends, the important things in life... and The Cat Empire are forever wise to me. I'd be lost without them.
- •Float On - Modest MouseWe played this song at my partner's memorial service (check previous lists if you'd like to know what I'm talking about) and it was perfect. How can a song be so sad and so hopeful at the same time? Modest Mouse rock.
- •Sleep Forever - Portugal. The ManThis song is depressing af but when I'm sad or tired or anxious it's the best. Love a good build up, although it took suicide happening to me directly to realise just how many songs there are about it.
- •Landslide - Fleetwood Mac/Stevie NicksAnother song that my parents gave me. I used to perform it back in the day and I can't not belt it out when it comes on in the car/shopping centre/anywhere in public. It's actually quite embarrassing and me and my sister both share the pain (often with rockin' harmonies)
- •Killing In The Name - Rage Against The MachineHead banging + amazing guitar riffs + lyrics about a good cause = a song worth adding to this list. "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!"
- •Alright - Kendrick LamarI'm so white, I feel weird even adding this here. But Kendrick Lamar helped me really love rap music and albums as a whole. I know this song is recent so it's hard to think of it as a song that shaped me, but it did.
- •Stranger Things Have Happened - Foo FightersI had to include one Foo song, I was obsessed for YEARS! This one is perfect because it has all the bits. The soft parts, some loudish bits, that guitar riff, those lyrics... Dave Grohl is still my hero.
- •Delete - DMA'sIf you know me, you'll know this one is no surprise. I literally get chills when I hear it and I've probably listened to it over 100 times. And seen it live four times. I love this song, it reminds me of better times.