BEING THE 'TOKEN NORTHERNER' AT UNIVERSITY
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get round to this, Liz! I loved the request
- •I'm from the north of England and I go to university in London
- •I am very much "the token northerner"
- •My uni halls accommodate 300+ students. I know of two other northerners who live there.
- •Before I even started uni, a random guy in an applicant Facebook group told me I'd only been given an offer because the university needed more people "from state schools" and the NorthHahahahaha lol
- •People get very confused by the way I talkYes, "tea" is dinner and "dinner" is lunch. No, there is no debating this.
- •Every time an Oasis or Stone Roses song is played when we're out at a club, people point to me. As if I personally know the Gallagher brothers or something
- •Everyone thinks I am from Manchester. No matter how many times I tell them I live in Warrington, *near* Manchester."Are you looking forward to going home to Manchester for Christmas?" "How long does it take to get home to Manchester?" .... I'm not from Manchester guys
- •Places in the north are practically exotic for some of my friendsI live in Cheshire and I have met maybe a handful of people that actually know what/where this is.
- •Nobody understands when I quote Peter Kay jokes
- •People ask me whether it's "warmer down south"
- •As soon as people find out I'm a northerner, they automatically presume I went to a comprehensive and I'm a leftieI mean, they're right on both counts but that's besides the point 😉
- •People tell me I have a strong accent all the time
- •NOBODY has heard of rugby leagueIt's a real sport guys, I'm not making it up
- •And probably the worst of all, nobody shares my love for chips and gravy 💔
- •One more thing: its bath not barth and it always will be 😇