ROLES IN THE NATIVITY PLAY, RANKED
The nativity play was a BIG thing at my primary school. It wasn't a faith school but give a bunch of kids time off school to act, sing and dress up in costumes and it's the most exciting thing in the world. (Is this just a British thing btw?)
- 10.DonkeyYeah this usually went to a boy because for some reason they found this role hilarious. I feel like girls were much more ambitious with their role selection.
- 9.ShepherdI was a shepherd a few times. It meant you had no lines and had to wear a tea towel on your head, because that's what shepherds wore at this time apparently? (I'm also wearing some beads in this photo for no apparent reason)
- 8.StarCool costume but no lines since you were just used as a prop to guide the wise men
- 7.InnkeeperMaybe an underrated role. You only had one line that was just a different variation of "no room at the inn" but it was still pretty important.
- 6.Wise MenYou got a pretty sweet costume (a crown?!) and got to carry gold, frankincense and myrrh to baby Jesus? Winning
- 5.AngelThe Angels had pretty costumes and usually got to sing. I was only an angel once because my singing voice is the type that ruins school performances. (Here's me looking v unimpressed as an angel)
- 4.NarratorThis was my forte. When we did it in the church we got microphones to say our lines and I was in my element.
- 3.King HerodThe ultimate bad guy. Kinda gruesome for a bunch of primary school aged kids though. Like I'd be worried what the teachers thought of you if they cast you in this role.
- 2.Angel GabrielHe didn't sing but he was in charge of the other Angels and got to announce the biggest lines in the play. I'm pretty sure this always went to a boy so I never even had a chance 💔
- 1.Mary/ JosephThis was the dream. I never got the part of Mary and I'm still pissed. You were the stars of the show. Sure, baby Jesus was important but he was just a doll. Mary and Joseph had loads of lines, sometimes a song, and once even a costume change!! Also, once they finally got a place to stay in Bethlehem they got to sit down for most of the play. Dream role.