THE BEST MUSIC FROM THE NORTH WEST 🇬🇧 📁
One of my favourite things about where I live is the music culture. These are bands/artists I grew up listening to and that are a huge part of our region. Most are from Manchester and Liverpool, some from Warrington, Stockport, Macclesfield etc.
- •I made a Spotify playlist if you want to check it out:
- •The BeatlesOf course I had to include this one. It's hard to escape The Beatles and the impact they had on popular music, especially where I live. My best friend even lives in the house John and Cynthia Lennon lived in (for a few months). Every time I visit I ask her which bedroom she thinks was his, like a crazy person
- •The SmithsAnother classic and my personal favourite. Morrissey's witty, poetic lyrics and Marr's music skills were the perfect balance. Their songs are embedded in the culture of Manchester.
- •OasisThe Gallaghers were and always will be cultural icons. A parka and Adidas trainers are still in the wardrobes of pretty much every guy (and girl) I know, even this many years later. And their music is pretty brilliant too. Noel vs Liam is still a decisive issue.
- •The Stone RosesFrom my hometown!! Well, Ian Brown at least. One of the coolest bands to come out of the late 80s Manchester scene; their debut album was an instant classic. Brought back 60s psychedelic vibes perfectly balanced with Ian Brown's front man charisma.
- •Joy DivisionLove Will Tear Us Apart was voted the second greatest song ever by NME so I'll let that speak for itself
- •Happy Mondays/ Black GrapeI'm including these as one because they are both the projects of lead singer Shaun Ryder. Happy Mondays were one of the most popular bands of the Madchester era - I loved them as a kid because of one of the band members, Bez, whose only job was to dance in the background and play maracas.
- •The CharlatansOne of the only 90s bands on this list to still be releasing great music.
- •The CourteenersHugely popular at the moment - they played a sell out gig at Heaton Park this summer.
- •The Beautiful SouthMy dad's favourite. Their sarcastic band name sets the tone for their often sardonic and cynical lyrics.
- •Miles KaneFormer frontman of The Rascals and member of The Last Shadow Puppets with Alex Turner. Maybe a little too Beatles-esque but hey this is a list about music from the north west so I'll let him off.
- •Elvis CostelloA beautiful songwriter with an impressively long career.
- •Take ThatYeah I'm talking about Take That. They are the classic boy band - how could I leave them out?!
- •The VerveNot a personal favourite but I can't deny their impact. And Bitter Sweet Symphony is a tune tbf.
- •BlossomsVery cool new band from Stockport. Not heard much from them yet but I'm excited for their debut album.
- •The WombatsMy favourite band from my indie kid days. Saw them this year at Leeds and it was pure, beautiful nostalgia
- •Cilla BlackMostly famous for her TV work, Cilla had a brilliant music career in the 60s after being discovered by Beatles manager, Brian Epstein. I love her big ballads.