ABOUT MY DAD
Today is his birthday 🙂 hbd dad!
- •His name is RafikThat's the Swahili word for "friend" and it fits him PERFECTLY. In 2009 we went to DisneyWorld and he got a picture with Rafiki from The Lion King. It was incredible 🙏🏾👨🏽🐒
- •He's the reason I started to take an interest in politicsWhen I was 11 or 12, my dad volunteered with the campaign of an MP candidate in our city during the federal election (for any non-Canadians on ListApp, here's what that is: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_of_parliament). He would take me to the campaign office after school, and I would sit there and observe while volunteers walked in and out of the office, and called house after house to campaign. It was incredibly fascinating to me, and I learned so much about the way politics worked.
- •He's an FCMAWhich is basically this prestigious Canadian management accounting designation that you have to get nominated for, and only a few hundred people in the country have one of these. He got a really cool pin and plaque for it too. This is a picture of my family with the mayor at the ceremony. My dad is second from the right looking fly as hell
- •He started high school the day after he moved to CanadaHis class graduation photo is still up on the walls. He had long hair and glasses with lenses that took up half of his face 🤓
- •He's cried in front of me twice in my lifeOnce at my grandma's funeral. Once the night before his brother went for surgery to remove a tumour.
- •He's an accounting professorMy dad teaches accounting at one of the universities in my hometown. I didn't fully understand how cool this was until I started university, but my dad is honestly a fantastic professor and every time I go to his work I hear it from his students 😎
- •He's the best Twitter account I followI would promo his Twitter here but he'd be v mad at me, so here's a little sampler of his tweets:
- •Another one
- •And one more:
- •He owns every single Beatles album on vinylAnd would play 60's/70's/80's music around the house and in the car all the time when I was younger 💃🏽🎶