THINGS I HAVE LEARNED WORKING WITH TODDLERS
- •Don't freak out if they fall downTheir reaction will definitely mirror yours. Stay calm, tell them they're ok and if they're not, they'll let you know.
- •Don't yellIt never helps. Use a stern voice sparingly when something is very serious (safety related for example)
- •Telling them what to do > telling them what not to doDon't say "don't touch that", say "here, play with this". Give an alternative appropriate thing to do.
- •The clean-up song is timelessNone of these kids watch Barney but they all have a Pavlovian response to the song
- •Bubbles make an awesome sound when they popYou have to listen closely
- •If it's not your job to change the diaper, don't check to see if it's dirtyNot worth it
- •Potty training can be funMessy sure but SO rewarding. The look on a kid's face when they first do it successfully is priceless.
- •Little boys are just as obsessed with their penises as grown men areAnd the first time they pee standing up is the first greatest moment of their life