Reactions people have to my allergies
I'm allergic to A BUNCH of foods and I've had to deal with so many dumdums who mock the severity of allergies (although I've met some really thoughtful people too). here are some classic comments i constantly deal with
- •Wow that REALLY sucks for youThank you for telling me my life sucks
- •You've never had Nutella??? you don't know what you're missing out onNo I don't know what I'm missing out on because I've never tried it. Thank you for this really intelligent observation
- •But like what do you eatA lot of things. Just not the things I'm allergic to...
- •No wonder you're so skinny, you're allergic to everythingThat is not a compliment?
- •I can totally relate, I'm not allergic to anything but I don't like the taste of broccoliSo that's not really the same thing but ok
- •How do you know you're even allergic to these things.Aka I don't believe you have these allergies.
- •How bout I give you some fish and we'll see what happens lololLolol what happens is I die and you go to prison. The amount of times people "joke" about this with me...
- •*waiter at restaurant* urgh I guess I'll have to go all the way back to the kitchen and ask them if you're allergic to the food and it's going to take me a lot of time and effortAka your allergies are a burden to me. This makes me really sad because it shows a total lack of empathy. Sure you have to deal with this annoying thing at your job but Im the one who has to deal with it every day
- •What are you allergic to so I know not to eat it in front of youThank you good samaritan you made my day!! :) I really don't mind talking about my allergies especially with people who are curious and would just like to understand it more
- •In elementary school I had to sit by myself at the "allergic table" and was only allowed to invite 1 friend. I felt like an outcast until my friends all pretended they had various allergies so they could come sit with meMy favorite allergy was from my friend Sammy who said she was allergic to all pickles except the ones made by her grandma
- •All my friends and family are amazing about my allergies and my friends even read ingredients for me and talk to waiters for me if I'm feeling uncomfortable
- •I guess I just hope that more people will be understanding of allergies and take it seriously!