WORDS I LOVE AND SHOULD USE MORE OFTEN
For some reason these don't tend to surface in everyday conversations.
- •PortmanteauThe morphing of two words into a new word. Smog, motel, Bennifer, Chrismukkah.
- •CredenzaA dining room cupboard. Not to be confused with the musical term 'crescendo.'
- •NefariousSomething wicked
- •FingerspitzengefühlA German term, literally translated as "finger tips feeling" and meaning intuitive flair or instinct
- •UnquellableThat which cannot be quelled
- •DuendeSpanish term with no clear English equivalent. Creativity coming up through the roots of the Earth. Loosely means having soul, a heightened state of emotion, expression and authenticity.
- •QuagmireAn awkward, complex, or hazardous situation
- •ConquistadorialRelated to conquering
- •"On the lam"Making an exception to the title of this list to accommodate this phrase, which means "on the run" and most often refers to fugitives.
- •Befuddlement, befuddledA state of mental uncertainty / confusion resulting from failure to understand