- •I drove all day to the beach
- •And threw my body on the sand
- •In the dark
- •Underneath a million stars and what I think was possibly the visible Milky Way.
- •And squeezing my child's hand as we stared at the sky—
- •While his sister ran circles around us, squealing,
- •Nothing mattered except that I got to be there with something good I have done in my life: the two humans I had a hand in making—
- •That we could stop and stare together underneath a canopy so twinkling and other-worldly it could have been a movie set,
- •Like Jodie Foster in "Contact.""It's so beautiful"
- •And as I lay there, thinking about how she just stood on that shore of wherever she was, in tearful wonder,Was it heaven?
- •My son squeezed my hand and said: "tonight is like being born, except I'll remember."