🎄❄️ MY FAVORITE LINES FROM WHEN I PLAYED THE ROLE OF MARY BAILEY ❄️🎄
🎙One year ago today, I was playing Mary in the live radio version of "It's A Wonderful Life." Although my favorite thing to do on stage was make the "walking on snow" sound effect by rhythmically squeezing a box of cornstarch (so fun!), I suppose I also liked being Mary. Here are some of my favorite lines from the show:
- •Too bad there's no "prologue-with-picture" option. 🎄 This really destroys my ranking system, @list . Just kidding, you're perfect and I love you. Okay, here we go:
- •"Oh, George."Kind of "meh" on this because it just felt a little forced. It got better once I just gave in to the melodrama, though.
- •"To keep from being an old maid /I didn't want to marry anybody else in town. I want my baby to look like you."When George is feeling insecure after getting the offer to "run Potter's affairs" and he asks Mary why she ever married him in the first place when she could have married Sam Wainwright, or for that matter, anybody else in town. I liked this because it reminded me of something I'd say in real life.
- •"Oh, why don't you just go home!"Right after George says that he doesn't even know why he came over in the first place. I loved this because I got to sound really passionate and exasperated which comes pretty easily--in other words, not much acting involved.
- •"He's making violent love to me, Mother!"At this point, Mary's frustrated with her mother AND George. This line was such a crowd-pleaser (we were in front of a live audience) and oh-so-petulant. 🔥
- •"George Bailey, I'll love you 'til the day I die."Iconic. If you know the film, you know the line. This was a whisper. Someone was making ice cream noises at the sound effects table because George was supposed to be getting my order ready. So romantic! ❤️
- •This isn't a line in the script, just a space where I can confess that what I liked most about this role was the hair and makeup. And, singing the old-fashioned radio jingles. Also, when I say "this role," this has been my only role. \_(ツ)_/¯