TOMATOES I HAVE GROWN AND LOVED
Missing the farm life this morning.
- •I know I might not seem like a tomato farmerLOL
- •But out of everything I used to grow, tomatoes were the most fun. And the tastiest.These are geraniums, though.
- •This was my big chalkboard menu:That's right: you're looking at 44 varieties, each one planted with love.
- •I also had a brochure that explained the flavor of each one.
- •This is how small they started: tomato bebes!Ignore the cauliflower in the foreground.
- •And, depending on the variety, the plants could get quite large.
- •When you buy a plant from a "big box store," it has most likely been sprayed with a PGR (plant growth regulator) so that it is easier to manage on the shelf and looks neat and compact in the pot. Customers like uniformity.
- •When you purchased a plant from me, I was most likely wearing this outfit and you didn't have to ask whether I used hormones, pesticides, or herbicides on my edibles.
- •You just knew. And it's not just that I didn't want to feed that stuff to you--I didn't want it on me. When I bought the business from the previous owner, the water was BRIGHT BLUE with synthetic fertilizer. I slowly moved to an organic fertilizer and eliminated the use of pesticides.
- •So, back to the plants. They just did their thing. And they were sometimes hard to manage. Especially toward the end of the season, and especially when a big wind would whip up and blow them all over hell's half-acre.
- •I think I developed my most elaborate curses during these trying times.
- •But I also learned how to grow a tomato. And how to work. And how to wait.
- •I love tomatoes. And no matter where I go in life, even if I don't have a proper garden, I will have at least one tomato plant. Here are my favorites:
- •Sunsugar: A Hybrid cherry. Hands-down. Eat it in the afternoon, right off the plant. It will be warm and sweet and delicious.
- •Green Zebra: a striped sweet heirloom with a sort of salty tanginess.
- •Black From Tula: a sweet, smoky, rich, and beautiful heirloom. MARRY ME, BFT.
- •Juane Flamme: Orange. Old French variety, excellent for eating fresh, great for drying.
- •🍅 Happy growing! 🍅