WHITE PRIVILEGE IS: THE POWER I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD
Inspired by @ListPrompts
- •Being out with my friend--
- •Feeling the stare-down from the guys across the room. Is this what it's like on the East Side?
- •Doing our best to ignore them, since we don't mess with crazy.
- •Finally getting up to leave because it's not worth the trouble.
- •But before we do, he grabs me close and whispers in my ear:
- •"If anything happens, and the police come, you have to tell them that YOU felt threatened. Make it's clear to whoever is here in a uniform, that it was YOU, the lovely white woman. That you were scared. And that I was just trying to protect you."
- •After all this time, I am still naive. We rarely talk about these things. "We don't have to leave," I say. "I'm not scared of those assholes."
- •"I am," he says. "A little. But the only one who matters here is you. So, when it comes down to it, make me a hero, babe, and save my life." Then he winks and we walk out, hand-in-hand into the summer night.