FROM SLOW DOWN RACHEL TO MODERN GIRL: KNOWLEDGE I ACQUIRED IN MY 30TH YEAR
With thirty-one a few days away... I'm reminiscing.
- •"Speeding down the highway when you ought to dig the scenery."Take things a day at a time. Healing isn't something that happens over night. Enjoy the time it took to stick yourself back together. Be cognitive of the little details.
- •Insanity is an every day occurrence.You're going to try to do the same thing at least once every day hoping to find a different result.
- •Being vulnerable is a joint venture.Alone is torture. With a partner... Magical.
- •Mean the things you say at 2AM as if you said them in the afternoon.Insomnia works just as well as alcohol to turn lips loose. At some point you gotta take the training wheels off.
- •It's better to look 20 than 30.I'm sure one day that time will catch up with me and I'll finally look my age. Still, until that time comes I'm going to enjoy being carded and making jaws drop when they finally realize how old I am.
- •You have no contractual obligation to explain yourself to anyone you don't want to.Your thoughts, your feelings, your behavior. You don't owe people anything. Change your mind. Often. Make no apologies.
- •You can't be friends with a certain type of ex.You can try but you always just get sucked back in. It's easy. But it's healthier to cut ties so you can move on into a life where you don't have to deal with their bullshit anymore. Especially... if they're still trying to fuck you or your mind.
- •Be conscious of those who teach you lessons about yourself.It might not always be on purpose. You may never get to thank them. Be grateful all the same.
- •Some people just aren't going to like you, understand you.Sucks to be them. You're awesomesauce.
- •An apology followed by a "but" is NOT an apology.
- •It's okay to say "no" when you want to.People who really care about you will understand.
- •Memories are just memories.Slip only into nostalgia when you're happy. It's dangerous otherwise.
- •Sometimes it's best just to not and say you did!Goes with everything! Friendly suggestions, opinions, those last homemade candies you really didn't want. If you can't, just don't. It's okay to play it safe in the gray/grey from time to time.
- •Choosing your happiness over another's is not selfish, it's survival.
- •You get a lot farther putting yourself out there than you do playing shy in the corner.Don't be afraid of failure. See what happens. Make a move. Make it an adventure.
- •No one gets to decide if they hurt your feelings or not.That choice is yours and yours alone.
- •"The modern girl will ride on."Being alone is nothing to be afraid of. Save yourself for someone who appreciates every part of you.