History was made and it was bittersweet
- •My dad's side of the family loves baseball, and no one more than my (great) uncle Gene.
- •He always had baseball on the tv at the bowling alley he owned.Basically a baseball game on tv, of any level, would trump any other sport currently playing. Even replays of games.
- •He coached the local legion teams in my town for 15 years. And they were good.All while obsessively caring for the 3 fields in the area. I don't think I've ever seen fields so meticulously trimmed in my life, especially in a rural area like ours.
- •And he was a Cubs fan.
- •His dream was to see his favorite team even reach the World Series.
- •Unfortunately, he passes away from rapidly progressing lung cancer the fall of my freshman year of college.
- •But now, his Cubs did it. They won.
- •Clearly, this is all his doing.It helps when you've got an in with the big guy.
- •Congrats Uncle Geno, your dream came true!