This Noble Mutt.
His name is Moses. He's turning 13 this month.
- •We bought him from a woman who chain smoked in her trailer.There were 5 other puppies. Their soft fur smelled of menthol cigarettes. I wanted to take them all.
- •She said they were Husky/Lab mutts.He has neither Husky, nor Lab in him.
- •He's got 9 lives like a cat.And he's almost used them all up.
- •1) running nose first into a headstone while trying to catch a frisbee at the dog park/cemetery we used to go to.It's an official/sanctioned dog park IN AN ACTIVE CEMETERY in DC. Cannot go back, still remains one of the weirdest scenes in the city. (This is not a pic of the park, just an example of his frisbee skills)
- •2) huge tangle of chicken wire stuck through and around his lip/muzzle.While camping. At night. Required pliers, ice, whiskey to remove.
- •3) got a used hypodermic needle stuck in his paw.During a walk in DC. Not life threatening, but did have to google "can dogs get hiv?"
- •4) impaled by a branchRan full speed down a hill and chest first into a pointed branch that was stuck in the ground. Carried all 65lbs of him the 3 blocks home.
- •5) tore his doggy ACL, had to have surgeryBoth legs.
- •6) fell out of the bed of a pick up truckJumped poorly? Idk he probably saw a squirrel.
- •7) tip of ear bitten off by another dogOne of his buddies in his dogwalking pack decided to be a dick, and bit it clean off.
- •He resigned himself to his new life after my daughters were born with a beleaguered acceptance I'd never seen in him before.
- •He loves them now.Or maybe just accepts their love?
- •He's almost completely deaf.This was his clique when his giant ears heard every crumb drop.
- •He can barely hear us whistleBut he's still vigilant about keeping an eye on my girls.
- •I will never regret having our friend immortalize him in his prime
- •He's a good dog.
- •I feel like I could write a book about him, but a list will have to do.