MY TWENTY-SIXTEEN FAVORITES
Inspired by @brimattia
- •ALBUM: Next Thing by Frankie CosmosI just love every single thing about this album and I listen to it constantly.
- •BOOK: Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca SolnitTechnically this came out in the fall of 2015 but 2016 has been the year of Rebecca Solnit for me & since I've spent most of the year reading her works this seems the most appropriate choice.
- •PODCAST: The West Wing WeeklyI watched the show itself for the first time this year and was delighted to come across this podcast over the summer. I now obsessively wait for the new episodes every Wednesday.
- •ITEM OF CLOTHING: Black BlazerI have been search for a black blazer that fits me just right basically been my entire life & I finally found one this summer at a thrift store.
- •AMAZON PURCHASE: "Victoria" DaybedI moved into a new place and bought a cute daybed frame on Amazon and despite the struggle of carrying it up four flights & putting it together, this turned out to be such a perfect purchase for only like a hundred bucks.
- •ESSAY: "Pond Scum" by Kathryn SchulzI'm super into thinking about the frustrating & contradictory, yet mythologized, figure of Henry David Thoreau; Schulz's piece is a thorough and engaging dive into the cultural misunderstanding of Thoreau the person and Walden the work. (technically 2015, I read in 2016) http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/10/19/pond-scum
- •PERSON: Jenny SlateI've just really been into her Twitter and the kind of thoughts energy she puts out into the world.
- •APP: LongformI've always loved this app but I used it a ton especially this year. It's great because it works underground on the subway when I'm stuck without service but still want reading materials.
- •LIST BY ME: CAREERS I HAVE IMAGINED FOR MYSELF
- •This list sticks with me; such a brief and quietly profound collection of thoughts about getting older and watching your parents do so as well.