Advice For Working With Kids
- •Get down on their level when you talk to themTake a knee, tie their shoe while you chat, sit with them
- •Have a few jokes in your back pocketWhat do you call a crab who doesn't like to share? (Shellfish!) Where does the general keep his armies? (In his sleevies!)
- •Get really good at Simon SaysIt's the best way to get them silent! Play rapid fire speed! Give them a few active commands, then a few medium ones, then a few calm ones and end with them silently standing with their arms crossed and eyes on you.
- •If there is an issue between two kids, always let both of them tell their side of the story.Everyone just wants to be heard.
- •Maybe this goes without saying but genuine encouragement/affirmation goes a long way in building relationshipsAnd gets them on the path of wanting to do what's right
- •I'm sure I'll think of more!