MY NEIGHBOR QUINCY'S LIFE AS TOLD THROUGH SNAPSHOTS FROM MY MEMORY
@smallthings I was just thinking about starting this list and then I got your request! My parents still live in the same house they brought baby me home to. It's two doors down from Quincy's house.
- •My first memory of Quincy was when he was three. He and another neighbor boy were beating the shit out of each other with sticks.I was only 6 or 7 so please don't judge me too harshly for not intervening.
- •My next memory is when he was 7. All his teeth were silver. I didn't understand why but later learned they were silver caps to protect his unhealthy baby teeth.
- •There is a big chunk of years where I don't have many memories. Probably because I was a typical self-involved teen.
- •When I was 22 I helped organize and run a gang-prevention program. A few church leaders joined with local police to open the middle school one Friday night a month. We invited the kids from the neighborhood to play basketball and eat free pizza.
- •Quincy was always there, often high. He was pretty friendly during those interactions, but honestly I've never met a mean high person.
- •Years later I'd give him rides to and from the convenience store. He'd always ask about my sister and I'd always ask about his.
- •One time I saw him riding down the street on a moped. He looked very happy.
- •Last I heard, he got his hands on a gun and was threatening a few young kids in the neighborhood. Naturally, the dads of those kids were pissed. They called the cops and threatened Quincy themselves.
- •That was maybe three months ago. I haven't seen him since.