THE DREADED PAPER CUTTER
Alternate title: My Biggest Fear
- •When I was in third grade my teacher chopped off the top of her finger with a paper cutter.
- •I am now a third grade teacher.
- •I don't necessarily believe in karma or that history is doomed to repeat itself.
- •(Except in this case.)
- •I live with a deep fear that I will chop off the end of my finger with the cutter.
- •But it doesn't end there.
- •I'm afraid that a kid in my class will then grow up and become a third grade teacher.
- •And one day she, too, will chop off the tip of her finger in the dreaded paper cutter.
- •And then a kid in that class will grow up with the same fate.
- •And so on and so forth into eternity.
- •Until the earth falls into the sun.
- •Or whatever that's going to happen happens.
- •The past is obdurate.
- •Maybe the future is too.